Celebrity Dogs: What Kind of Dogs do the Celebs Have?
Celebrities set lots of trends in our lives, including some of the pets we choose. In the past the rich and famous wanted extravagant pooches to go along with their extravagant life style. High priced pure breeds used to dominate the list of celebrities' dogs but mutts, mixes, and hybrids are joining the diverse list of dogs owned by celebrities.
Some celebrities are reaching out to help those in need. With lots of shelter dogs available for adoption it is becoming more common to see celebrities with all-American mutts on a leash. Celebrities love to be involved in charities and this is just another way
they can do their part. Local humane societies and animal shelters have plenty of dogs to choose from, and the price is right. Some examples of celebrities that have had the heart to rescue mutts are as follows:
- Jennifer Aniston likes to walk the beach with her rescued Corgi-Terrier mix named Norman.
- Alicia Silverstone rescued Samson, a Rottweiller-Pit Bull mutt.
Puggles & Poos
Mixing and matching is a popular trend among celebrities as well. Designer dogs are increasing in popularity and price as breeds are being mixed to create a desired hybrid. Maltipoos, Cockapoos, Puggles, and Labradoodles are just a few of these made to order pups. These designer mixed breeds offer a chance to combine the attributes of two favorite breeds, with the hope to minimize breed related illness and maximize the favorite characteristics. Some celebrities that have capitalized on this idea are as follows:
- Ashley Judd chose a Cockapoo, Buttermilk, for her designer dog.
- Jessica Simpson has Daisy, a Maltipoo, that was a past birthday gift from her ex-husband Nick Lachey.
- Jake Gyllenhaal recently added a Puggle, Boo-Radley, to his family which includes an older German Shepherd, Atticus.
Pure-bred Dogs Lead the Pack
This old standard is still quite influential. With a wide variety of pure-bred dogs available, celebrities are free to pick a size and style to fit their desires. A trend to choose purse-sized pups has been overwhelmingly popular in recent years. Dogs like Chihuahuas, Pomeranians, and Yorkshire Terriers fit perfectly in the designer bag of the moment and are often seen in celebrity photos. Some celebrities that have pure-bred dogs are as follows:
- Nicole Ritchie loves her little pure-bred dogs which include a Pomeranian, Foxxy Cleopatra, and a Shih-Tzu, Honeychild. These purebreds have their own celebrity fan-club, after making numerous guest appearances on her television show *The Simple Life*.
- Mariah Carey and her Jack Russell Terrier, Jack travel everywhere together.
- Britany Spears has a famous Chihuahua, Bit Bit that is often seen posing for the paparazzi on the red carpet.
- Oprah Winfrey has a multitude of pure-bred pooches. Her Cocker Spaniels Sophie and Solomon live it up with their own backstage living quarters and personal attendant. She also has a slew of Golden Retrievers back on the farm.
Just like us, lifestyle and personal preference play a huge role in the type of dog a celebrity chooses.