Getting a new puppy is a magical time filled with learning and bonding with your pet. From picking out the specific breed of puppy, getting your house ready for your new furry family member, to training them, there’s plenty of excitement for a new owner of a puppy. And what better way for a new puppy owner to celebrate their puppy then by giving them a Harry Potter themed name!
Let’s be real, what’s better than Harry Potter and puppies? It’s hard to think of a combination much better than that. While the list of most popular dog names doesn’t reflect the magic and wonder of Harry Potter, incorporating the wizarding world created by J.K. Rowling is an excellent way to give your new puppy a unique name that will gather the approval of Harry Potter lovers from Diagon Alley to the Forbidden Forest.
Harry Potter Themed Names for Female Puppies
Take a look at this list of Harry Potter themed names that are perfect for your little puppy. For clarity, we listed out the full character names, but feel free to crop the name for you liking. Both Andromeda and Tonks make for great puppy names! Don’t feel obligated to go with both, unless you want to!
- Alicia Spinnet
- Amelia Bones
- Andromeda Tonks
- Angelina Johnson
- Ariana Dumbledore
- Bellatrix Lestrange – Perfect if your puppy is showing a bit of sassiness early on.
- Cho Chang
- Emmeline Vance
- Ginny Weasley – Great name if your puppy has a reddish coat.
- Helena Ravenclaw
- Hepzibah Smith
- Hermione Granger – Why not name your whip-smart puppy after the ‘Brightest Witch of Her Age’?
- Fleur Delacour – Great name for your golden retriever puppy.
- Grey Lady
- Katie Bell
- Kendra Dumbledore
- Luna Lovegood – Great name if your puppy lovably odd.
- Marge Dursley
- Mary Cattermole
- Mary Riddle
- Millicent Bulstrode
- Minerva McGonagall
- Molly Weasley
- Padma Patil
- Pansy Parkinson
- Nagini – Great for your fierce puppy.
- Narcissa Malfoy
- Nymphadora Lupin
- Rita Skeeter – Both Rita and Skeeter are great names for a puppy, so why not give yours both?
- Romilda Vane
- Rowena Ravenclaw
- Penelope Clearwater
- Susan Bones
Harry Potter Themed Names for Male Puppies
Take a look at this list of names for your young wizard pup:
- Aberforth Dumbledore
- Alastor Moody
- Albus Dumbledore – Perfect for your wise puppy.
- Alecto Carrow
- Azkaban – You can call your puppy “Az” for short.
- Bartemius Crouch or Barty
- Bill Weasley
- Cedric Diggory – Hard to avoid crying when seeing this name 🙁
- Cornelius Fudge
- Dean Thomas
- Dennis Creevey
- Diagon (for Diagon Alley)
- Dolores Jane Umbridge (or D.J.)
- Draco Malfoy – Great if your puppy has a bit of a snarky side.
- Dudley Dursley
- Elphias Doge
- Ernie Macmillan
- Fenrir Greyback
- Frank Longbottom
- Gellert Grindelwald
- George Weasley
- Goblet (for the Goblet of Fire)
- Godric Gryffindor
- Gregory Goyle
- Grawp – Great name for large pups.
- Gellert Grindelwald
- Harry Potter – Great for furry puppies who are destined for greatness.
- Horace Slughorn – Shortening to Slug is a great idea for a puppy name.
- Igor Karkaroff
- James Potter
- Kingsley Shacklebolt
- Gilderoy Lockhart
- Lord Voldemort – Can’t think of a puppy name? Why not naming him after he-who-should-not-be-named.
- Lucius Malfoy
- Remus Lupin – The lovable Professor Lupin was a Werewolf, making for a great puppy name.
- Mad-Eye Moody
- Neville Longbottom
- Newt Scamander
- Nicolas Flamel
- Oliver Wood
- Percy Weasley
- Peter Pettigrew
- Rodolphus Lestrange
- Rubeus Hagrid – Perfect for the gentle giant puppy in your life.
- Salazar Slytherin
- Severus Snape
- Sirius Black – Name your puppy after the most famous dog in the Harry Potter Series.
- Tom Marvolo Riddle
- Viktor Krum – How cool of a name would either Viktor or Krum be for a puppy?
- Weasley – Can’t decide which wizard or witch in the Weasley clan to name your puppy after? Go broad and name then Weasley.
Learn More About Puppies at PetPlace
Didn’t find your ideal dog name on the list? Are you looking for a dog name to go with personality traits such as independent dogs, playful dogs, funny dogs, cute or beautiful dogs, loving dogs, sweet dogs, big dogs or dogs with big personalities, small dogs, aggressive dogs or good watch dogs, smart dogs, not so smart dogs, strong dogs, fast dogs, ornery dogs, or talkative dogs?
Once you’ve given your puppy the perfect name, it’s time to make sure you’re providing them with the best care possible. To do that, consider getting pet insurance for your puppy. Having a puppy will require plenty of visits to the vet. Some of those visits will be spendy and place you in a position where you’re weighing financial costs against your dog’s best interest. With pet insurance, you won’t have to worry about veterinary costs ever again.
Is Pet Insurance Right For Your Puppy?
The best pet insurance offers coverage that’s broad enough for whatever care your pet needs and with enough options to get the perfect coverage for you and your pet.