My Pet May Have Eaten Some of the Recalled Food – What do I do?

Our question this week was:

I’m concerned my pet may have eaten some of the recalled food. What do you recommend?


Maria Lopez


Hi – thanks for your email. Pet owners who are concerned that their pet has been adversely affected by the consumption of recalled food should contact their state Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Consumer Complaint Coordinator. For a state-by-state list of coordinators, go to

Please include as much information as possible, including the specific product name, lot numbers, veterinarians’ report and diagnosis, etc.

If your pet is acting fine and you still know they ate it, I’d recommend seeing your vet for an evaluation and blood work. I have heard that there are some dogs acting okay with abnormal kidney values. So it would be safer to do some tests and look for any underlying problems.

Best of luck!

Dr. Debra

To read most recent questions Click here!

Click here to see the full list of Ask Dr. Debra Questions and Answers!