The best dog DNA test will include a majority of the 180 American Kennel Club recognized breeds. To learn more, go to DNA and the American Kennel Club.
If you’re looking for the best dog DNA test, here is an overview of a few at-home dog DNA tests.
Embark Dog DNA Test
This test is considered by dog lovers to be the best dog DNA test on the market – but it’s also the priciest at about $180 to $200. The company partners with the Cornell College of Veterinary Medicine. This comprehensive dog DNA test is the most accurate screening for breed identification, traits, ancestry and genetic disease risk for 160 known canine genetic health conditions. Embark tests 100 times more genetic markers than its competitors – more than 200,000 genetic markers. It tests for 175 out of 187 breeds recognized by the American Kennel Club (AKC). Your results will be available in 3 to 7 weeks. That’s a long wait compared to other tests, but that is to be expected since they have so many genetic markers and genetic diseases to cover in addition to the breed identification testing. Customers also appreciate the company’s customer service. You can get help interpreting your results by live chat or email.
- Breed Discovery – Embark uses the most accurate breed identification scientifically possible. The Embark Dog DNA Test Kit tests for more than 175 dog breeds – even wolf, coyote and village dog ancestry. Together these breeds cover more than 98 percent of canines in America.
- Genetic Ancestry – The Embark Dog DNA Test can tell you the maternal and paternal group that your dog has in his or her ancestry, back to the great grandparents.
- Healthy Aging – This dog DNA test will test for more than 160 diseases. With this comprehensive genetic testing, you can better plan for healthy aging, with information on everything from genetic diseases to drug sensitivities. Keep your dog healthy longer by testing for genetic diseases that occur later in life including glaucoma, degenerative myelopathy, and dilated cardiomyopathy, three of the most common adult-onset diseases in dogs.
- Traits – Your Embark results will tell you information on traits that range from coat color to altitude adaptation. Where other tests just tell you the breeds in your dog, Embark looks at the genetic basis of appearance to explain why your dog looks the way it does.
- Results – Built by experts, Embark is partnered with Cornell University College of Veterinary Medicine. It is certified by the Orthopedic Foundation for Animals and is trusted by professional dog breeders and veterinary hospitals. With more than 20 times more genetic information than any other test on the market, the Embark DNA test gives you the most comprehensive picture of your dog’s genetic health and ancestry.
Wisdom Health’s Wisdom Panel 3.0
This is another highly rated choice in your search for the best dog DNA test. Priced at about $80 to $90, the Wisdom Panel 3.0 Breed Identification DNA Test Kit is more affordable than the Embark Dog DNA Test. The Wisdom Panel 3.0 covers more than 250 breeds, types and varieties, including 99% of the 180 AKC recognized breeds. The test offers high accuracy, covering 1,800 genetic markers. However, the test only offers genetic mutation testing for two inherited health conditions. The test determines breed ancestry and predicts adult weight range. This test kit comes with two swabs, and they’ll replace the swab for free if it is damaged. Your results will be available in about 2 to 3 weeks. Customers also appreciate the company’s customer service. You can get answers to any questions via phone or email.
- Features the largest breed database of any DNA test in the world with more than 250 breeds, types and varieties covered
- The only officially licensed canine DNA test in the U.S. to offer the potentially life-saving MDR1 drug sensitivity screening at no extra charge
- Identification of purebred ancestors present in the first three generations (to the great-grandparent level)
- With a simple cheek swab, you can uncover DNA-based insights that may help you understand your dog’s unique appearance, behaviors and wellness needs
DNA My Dog
This dog DNA test gives you less for your money than Wisdom Health or Embark. Priced at about $69, it is less expensive than other tests. However, there are only 84 breeds in their database, which means you won’t get the same level of accuracy as you would with Wisdom Health or Embark. Also, this test does not offer genetic mutation testing for health conditions. The test comes with two swabs and free replacement if they get damaged. You get your results in about two weeks and you can get answers to any questions via phone or email. There have been customer complaints about accuracy and delayed results.
- Results include a breed determination report and canine breed DNA analysis certificate
- Lists breeds found by level percentage found in your dog’s genetics
- Includes an outline of the general health concerns and personality traits for every breed found in your dog’s genetic profile
IdentiBreed Dog Breed Test
Priced at $75 to $80, this dog DNA test gives you 7 reports in one test: canine DNA breed, genetic conditions, food intolerances, stress level, hormone levels, vitamin levels, and minerals and toxins. This test requires a cheek swab and a hair sample.
- Get a list of breeds that make up your dog
- Tests for more than 160 health conditions that include glaucoma, degenerative myelopathy, and cardiomyopathy, three of the most common adult-onset diseases in dogs
- Determines your dog’s intolerance and sensitivity to 125 food and environmental items
- Takes stress level measurements to tell you how stressed your dog is
- Measures hormone, vitamin and toxin levels to tell you more about your dog’s overall health
To learn more about dog DNA tests, go to What Is a Dog DNA Test?