After interviewing several veterinarians about this hypothesis, it was determined that there are certain characteristics generally associated with different male dog names.
The following are characteristics associated with each name:
The Meaning Behind the Top 30 Male Dog Names
1. CHARLIE – Charlie is a great dog name and is used on just about every breed, shape and size. Most “Charlie’s” are warm-hearted loyal dogs with friendly personalities. They generally like to play and enjoy either fetching or chewing. Origin: German. The meaning is: Man; strong and masculine.
2. MAX – Dogs named Max are generally happy dogs. They like to be petted and groomed and are considered fun-loving. They are very trustworthy companions. Some dogs named Max can be fiercely independent and work to keep their aggression under control. Origin: Latin. The meaning is: A Salmon Basin or large spring.
3. BAILEY – This is a great dog name. Dogs named Bailey are often loyal and good-natured. Most “Baileys” are very trainable. They are smart dogs, eager to please and respond well to obedience training if given the opportunity. Origin: English. The meaning is: Bailiff; Trusted Guardian.
4. BUDDY – The majority of dogs named Buddy are mixed breed dogs owned or named by men. They are often rescued or strays brought into homes and hearts across the world. They are generally loyal and adore their owners. Origin: American English. The meaning is: Messenger Man.
13. JAKE – Dogs named Jake are often fun-loving and happy dogs. They like to play and better yet – loved to sleep. They have that “boy next door” appeal. Origin: Hebrew. The meaning is: Supplanter; to fill the place of another.
5. COOPER – Dogs named Cooper are fairly fun and happy dogs. Origin: English. Meaning is: “barrel maker” in Middle English.
6. JACK – Dogs named “Jack” are often fairly carefree. They are often mixed breed dogs, however, they can also be purebred. They generally love life and can truly be man’s best friend. Dogs named Jack are often described as “quiet”. Origin: English. The meaning is: God is Forgiving or God’s gracious gift.
7. OLIVER – Dogs named Oliver, sometimes called Ollie for short, are wonderful dogs. They can be ornery and eager to get into things. Many Oliver’s are keen chewers and need to be given frequent opportunities to play and appropriate chew toys. Origin: French. The meaning is: Elf Army; or symbol of Peace.
8. RILEY – Dogs named Riley are often wonderful dogs with loving personalities. They have a tendency to be carefree and fun. They can be creative when it comes to play and make up games as it suits them. They like to play and sleep. They are attentive and very loyal to their owners. Origin: American. The meaning is: Rye Clearing; Valiant.
9. TUCKER – This is a fun name and many dogs with this name have colorful personalities. They may love to eat and very food motivated. Origin: English. The meaning is: Someone who fills cloth; cloth thickener – also slang for food in Australia.
10. ROCKY – Most dogs named Rocky have big personalities. They are often playful and strong. They can be either big or small dogs but have a strong personalities and may be dominant. Origin: English. The meaning is: A Rocky Reef.
11. BUSTER – Buster is a fairly diverse name and associated with many different types of personalities. It is often given to little dogs with big personalities. They are rarely dressed in dog clothes and if they are – it is only a masculine bandana. Dogs named Buster can also have a sneaky quality and may be quick to steal food or do something else that you don’t know about. Origin: American English. The meaning is: Joy.
12. BEAR – Dogs named “Bear” are often adorable long haired fluffy dogs that come in a variety of sizes and colors. It is a common name for Shar peis. They are generally loyal dogs but can have aggressive tendencies. Behavior training is generally a good idea. Origin: American English. The meaning is: Bear; bulky with lots of hair.
13. TOBY – Most dogs named Toby can be described as “Cool”. They have a friendly and often energetic demeanor with sweet personalities. They are good dogs and loyal companions. Origin: Greek. The meaning is: From Tobias – The Goodness in God; God is good.
14. DUKE – Dogs named Duke are loyal, loving dogs. They are often “people” dogs and don’t want you out if their sight. Most Dukes are medium to larger sized dogs. They can be dominant and smart and respond well to obedience training. Origin: Latin. The meaning is: Leader of the Herd; high-ranking nobleman.
15. MURPHY – Murphy is a carefree name and a perfect name for Golden Retrievers. Murphy’s are loyal, kind and energetic. They love playtime. They strongly bond to their owners and love nothing more than a little affection from their owners. Most dogs named Murphy never met a stranger and love living their lives. Origin: American English. The meaning is: Sea Fighter or sea warrior. Of course, Murphy’s Law means…anything can happen.
16. HARLEY – Dogs named Harley can be any size or shape. They often have fun personalities and like to play. They can be independent and are smart. They are as loyal to their owners as their owners are to them. Origin: Hebrew. The meaning is: Wild Spirited.
17. SHADOW – Shadow is a common and wonderful dog name. It is often given to dogs that are black. Many dogs named Shadow are shy and slow to approach strangers. They are loving and loyal to their owners. They hate going to the vet and are not trusting. Some describe dogs named Shadow as “uptight”. Origin: English. The meaning is: Dark image cast by an object blocking the sun’s rays.
18. RUSTY – Rusty is a great dog name and is commonly used for red or red-browned colored dogs. Many dogs named Rusty are wonderful, handsome dogs with shy affectionate personalities. Origin: American English. The meaning is: A Town; also means a reddish brown color or covered in rust.
19. SAMMY – Dogs named Sammy are often sensitive dogs. They look as you as though they can read your soul. They are loyal and kind and have a fun side to their personalities. Origin: Hebrew. The meaning is: Heard by God or from Samantha – a “Listener”
22. ZEUS – Dogs named Zeus often have quite regal personalities. They give of the aura of being a leader and powerful. They are alert and very good listeners. Not much gets past a dog named Zeus. They are intuitive and smart. Many people may describe dogs named Zeus as “handsome”. They can be well trained if given the opportunity. Zeus was a Greek ruler of the gods in Greek mythology. Origin: Greek. The meaning is: Father of the Gods.
21. OSCAR – The name Oscar can be associated with dogs of just about any size or breed. Most “Oscars” are independent and can be a bit…ornery. They have fun personalities and are generally eager to please. Origin: Old Norse. The meaning is: Divine Spear; a fighter for God.
22. LUCKY – Lucky is a common dog name and used for many pets that have suffered an unfortunate experience followed by being rescued. These dogs are generally happy and well meaning. They are loving and loyal and realize their good fortune in the new home that they found with you. Origin: English. The meaning is: Happiness and having good luck.
23. WINSTON – Dogs given this rather distinguished name often uphold the name with dignity. They are commonly loyal and friendly. They like to meet new people and can be quite smart. Origin: English. The meaning is: Kind Town; or a friend’s estate.
24. CASEY – Casey is a great name for a guard dog since the name’s origin is for a watchful warrior. Most dogs named Casey are smart and have an excellent sense of hearing. They are loving and very special dogs. Origin: French. The meaning is: Belonging to Case; brave and watchful.
25. TEDDY – This common pet name is a good one. Most Teddy’s are cute, sweet dogs with loyal owners. They may look like a “Teddy Bear”. It is a common name for Chow-chows and Pomeranians. Origin: Greek. The meaning is: Gift from God; prosperous guardian.
26. GIZMO – Dogs named Gizmo are often small breeds that are “busy”. They like to get into things and explore their environments. Origin: American English. The meaning is: Mechanical device or gadget.
27. SAMSON – Samson is a strong name often given to dogs with strong thick bodies and big personalities. They are loyal and loving. They are often attentive and have an extra keen sense of smell. Origin: Hebrew. The meaning is: Name of the Lord.
28. SAM – Sam is a carefree name given to dogs with a good outlook on life. They seem to know what is important and that have a special place in your heart. They are loyal and kind. Origin: Hebrew. The meaning is: Heard by God.
29. CODY – Cody is a great name and is often associated with dogs that are gentle and mild-mannered. They are eager to please and want to be loved. Most Cody’s are very huggable. Origin: English. Meaning: Reassuring.
30. BANDIT – Bandit is a common name, often given to loving strays or mixed breed dogs, although it can be given to any dog. Many Bandits are very independent and may be difficult to train. They can be dominant but will respond to training well if given the opportunity. They can be very smart and have high dog IQ’s. Origin: English. The meaning is: A robber or outlaw.
I hope this list helps you understanding the meaning behind common dog names.