Tip on Avoiding Sweetener Toxicity

Tip on Avoiding Sweetener Toxicity

PetPartners, Inc. is an indirect corporate affiliate of PetPlace.com. PetPlace may be compensated when you click on or make a purchase using the links in this article.

Here is a tip from one of our PetPlace.com users:

I was trying to improve my health and chose a natural sweetener called Xylitol to put in my cereal and milk. My 8-year-old Beagle, Travis had always gotten a little of my buckwheat cereal that had been sweetened with honey but when I switched to Xylitol and gave him just a few tablespoons full that were left in my bowl each morning he became very lethargic and did not want to play.

I took him to the Veterinarian and he told me that this natural sweetener is toxic to pets so I stopped giving it to him and he came back to his old playful self but it took about 3 weeks for him to overcome this toxic product. Please don't give your dog human food, as we don't know all about what is toxic to animals.

Do you have a special pet tip? Click here to submit your own dog tips and we may publish and share them with our users!

number-of-posts0 paws up

Previous / Next Article

Previous Article button

Dog Care

Tip for Recognizing a Fit Dog

Next Article button