Tips on Choosing Dog Food Bowls
What should you look for when choosing a dog food bowl? Dog bowls are available in many colors and styles. Finding the bowl that's right for your pet should be easy if you stop to consider a few factors before you shop.
Desirable features to look for in a bowl includes that it should be easy to clean, dishwasher safe, tip or spill proof, durable and safe.
An ideal choice is a heavy stainless steel bowls with a rubber bottom and tapered sides are great choices. This bowl has some weight and a rubber bottom to avoid your pet being able to push it all over the floor or ground. The tapered sides encourage tip resistance. Stainless steel is both durable and easy to wash, dishwasher safe, and can not be chewed or broken.
- Avoid light-weight plastic that can be chewed and moved. Avoid lightweight glass and pottery that can be broken.
- Elevated feeders may be more "comfortable" for your pet as he ages. They are also are easier to sweep around and clean under which is especially usefully for messy eaters.
- Narrow and deep feeders are ideal if you have a long-eared dog. This design allows your dog to drink without getting his ears in the water.
- Automatic feeders offer controlled portions in a frequency that you choose. Most are battery operated. These are generally not recommended for puppies.
- Bowl holders are good to prevent bowls from skidding or sliding around the floor.