Tips on Toxic or Dangerous Items Dogs May Eat

Tips on Toxic or Dangerous Items Dogs May Eat

You name it and dogs can get into it. Some dogs actually seek out things to chew, eat or destroy. Some items are generally non-toxic and other items can be highly toxic. If your pet got into something and you are not sure if it is a problem, the safest thing to do is to call your veterinarian, local emergency clinic or the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Hotline.

Toxic items that dogs may ingest include:

  • Grapes and raisins
  • Gorilla glue
  • Antifreeze
  • Chocolate
  • Cocoa Bean Mulch
  • Cigarettes and cigarette butts
  • Mushrooms
  • Paint balls
  • Potpourri
  • Rat and mouse poisons
  • Slug bait
  • Human medications (blood pressure medications, blood sugar medication, asthma inhalers, antidepressant drugs, aspirin, ibuprofen, and many, many more). Pretty much any medication can be dangerous depending on the dosage and the size of your dog.
  • Some types of chewing gum that contain Xylitol
  • Pennies
  • Yarn, string, ribbon, cassette tape and other similiar items
  • Anything not digestible that can cause an obstruction by getting caught in the stomach or intestines

  • number-of-posts0 paws up

    Previous / Next Article

    Previous Article button

    Dog Care

    Tips on Naming Your Dog

    Next Article button