Breaking News: Dog Food Recall (9/2/20)
On September 2nd, Sunshine Mills, Inc. issued a voluntary recall for several different varieties of dog food.
Which Products Are Being Recalled?
The recall applies to the following Sunshine Mills, Inc. products:
- 4-pound bags of Family Pet Meaty Cuts Beef, Chicken, & Cheese Flavors Premium Dog Food
- UPC Code: 3225120694
- Lot Codes: TD3 4/April/2020, TD1 5/April/2020
- 14-pound bags of Family Pet Meaty Cuts Beef, Chicken, & Cheese Flavors Premium Dog Food
- UPC Code: 3225118078
- Lot Codes: TB1 4/April/2020, TB2 4/April/2020, TB3 3/April/2020
- 28-pound bags of Family Pet Meaty Cuts Beef, Chicken, & Cheese Flavors Premium Dog Food
- UPC Code: 3225120694
- Lot Codes: TB3 3/April/2020
- 14-pound bags of Heartland Farms Grilled Favorites Beef, Chicken, & Cheese Flavor dog food
- UPC Code: 7015514299
- Lot Codes: TB1 4/April/2020, TB2 4/April/2020
- 31-pound bags of Heartland Farms Grilled Favorites Beef, Chicken, & Cheese Flavor dog food
- UPC Code: 7015514301
- Lot Codes: TA2 4/April/2020, TA3 4/April/2020
- 16-pound bags of Paws Happy Life Butcher’s Choice Dog Food
- UPC Code: 3680035763
- Lot Codes: TA1 4/April/2020, TA2 4/April/2020
Why Are These Products Being Recalled?
As of September 2nd, Sunshine Mills has not received any complaints from pet owners. They have reason to believe, however, that some or all of the above lots have been contaminated with aflatoxin, a by-product of mold growth. Louisiana’s Department of Agriculture and Forestry discovered the aflatoxin in a single 4-pound bag. It is unclear how many — if any — additional bags are contaminated. Sunshine Mills and the Food and Drug Administration have announced the recall out of an abundance of caution.
Ingesting aflatoxin can lead to liver disease in dogs and symptoms including vomiting, diarrhea, loss of appetite, and yellowing of the eyes and gums. If your dog exhibits these symptoms, contact your veterinarian immediately.
What Should I Do?
If you purchased any products from the potentially contaminated lots, stop feeding them to your dog immediately. The FDA advises consumers that they can receive a full refund for the recalled food wherever they purchased it. Retailers nationwide have been instructed to remove the products from their shelves.
Anyone with additional questions or concerns can contact Sunshine Mills via email or by calling customer service (800-707-2111).
Click here to learn more about the potential dangers of ingesting moldy food.