PetPartners, Inc. is an indirect corporate affiliate of PetPlace.com. PetPlace may be compensated when you click on or make a purchase using the links in this article.
Most Common Diseases in California Canines
Some diseases are more common for some dogs than others. For example, injuries from being hit by a car are mostly seen in dogs that are allowed to roam or accidentally get off a leash. Certain infections such as parvovirus are common in non-vaccinated puppies. But what about by location; does it make a difference in what makes a dog sick? What are the most common canine diseases by state?
This article will review the most common diseases and conditions in dogs from California.
Most Common Diseases or Conditions in Dogs from California
(in descending order) were:
- Otitis/ear infections
- Urinary tract infections
- Skin infection (AKA pyoderma; can be secondary to allergies)
- Cranial cruciate ligament tears
- Urinary incontinence
- Gastroenteritis (vomiting and diarrhea)
- Forelimb lameness
- Pruritus (itching, often secondary to allergies)
- Skin Masses
Summary of Sick Dogs in California
As you can see from this list, a few major patterns exist in dogs from California.
- Vomiting, diarrhea, and a combination of the two are very common. Between the different causes of these symptoms, this accounts for almost 22% of dog illness and vet visits in California. This is less than some states in the Midwest such as Ohio and Pennsylvania, which were closer to 30%.
- Allergies are an issue! Allergies can present as ear infections, itching, skin infections (pyoderma), and skin parasites. These problems can account for almost 32.5% of the top 20 dog illness and vet visits. This is higher than states in the Midwest such as Ohio and Pennsylvania.
- Arthritis and orthopedic causes of lameness are big problems. Cruciate ligament tears are a common knee injury and arthritis accounts for approximately 8% of California vet visits. This is substantially lower than the incidence for dogs in the Midwest, which is between 17 and 20%.
- Lumps and lymphoma are terms for tumors and cancer. These two items were in the top 20 list in California as well as Pennsylvania, but not Ohio. They account for approximately 2.8% of vet visits in California, 5½% in Pennsylvania, and 8.2% of the reasons dogs get sick or go to the vet in Florida.
I hope this gives you a better understanding of possible problems that can occur in dogs from California.
How to Prevent of Most Common Problems in California Dogs
- To prevent many of the problems associated with vomiting and diarrhea, keep your dog on a good quality dog food and avoid feeding them table scraps. Don’t let your dog roam where he or she can get into the trash, eat other dog feces, or consume objects that aren’t digestible.
- To prevent ear infections, dry your dog’s ears well if you bathe your dog or he swims.
- Allergies are a harder problem to prevent. Many veterinarians recommend feeding a high quality grain free or limited ingredient food, maintaining good flea control, and periodically bathing your dog with a good shampoo designed for dogs.
- Orthopedic problems can be hard to prevent when dogs play. The best thing you can do to prevent traumas such as being hit by a car that can cause lameness is keep your dog leashed.
- Provide plenty of fresh clean water and lots of opportunities to urinate in order to help minimize urinary tract infections.
- Monitor any lumps and bumps for changes. See your vet if you see differences or growth in any of your dog’s skin. Your vet may do a fine needle aspirate test or biopsy to check cells for signs of cancer.
We hope these tips help keep your California dog healthy.
Is Pet Insurance Right For You?
The best pet insurance offers coverage that’s broad enough for whatever care your pet needs and with enough options to get the perfect coverage for you and your pet.