Super Glue Toxicity (Super Glue Ingestion) in Dogs

Overview of Canine Ingestion of Super Glue

Super glue is a common household item kept in kitchens and offices. Super glue is not among the top animal poisons, but dogs are often exposed to them causing questions about their toxicity.

There are several types of glue including white glue, super glue and expandable glues. The most toxic of these glues are the expandable glues. For more information on this type of glue, go to Polyurethane Glue Toxicity (Expandable Adhesive Ingestion) in Dogs.

The most common ingredients in super glues are ethyl-2-cyanoacrylate 50 100%, poly (methylmethacrylate 2-30%). These ingredients cause rapid strong non-expandable adhesion upon contact with another surface.

Dogs of all age, breed and sex can be exposed. The most common problem associated with super glue ingestion is mild oral irritation.

What to Watch For

Signs will depend on the part of the body exposed and may include:

Diagnosis of Super Glue Toxicity in Dogs

Diagnosing super glue ingestion can be difficult unless you witnessed the ingestion or exposure. If the animal vomits, the vomitus may contain bits of the super glue that may be clear and impossible to see but may be smelled (odor of glue).

Physical examination may reveal chemical odor to the breath or to the skin or the presence of glue on the fur. Irritation may be seen in the mouth and throat.

Blood work including a complete blood count and biochemical profile may be recommended in patients that are depressed and vomiting.

Treatment of Super Glue Toxicity in Dogs

Most exposures to super glue in dogs do not require treatment and signs are generally mild. Gastrointestinal foreign bodies are possible if the tube itself is ingested.


The prognosis after exposure to super glue to the skin. Exposure in the eye or ear may cause corneal ulceration or damage to the ear drum.

Home Care and Prevention

There is no home care for ingested super glue products; call your veterinarian immediately if your pet is acting symptomatic. Do not induce vomiting.

Make sure you determine the type of product ingested as some of the expandable glues are more dangerous.

To prevent toxicity, keep all adhesives from pet exposure.