Dogs are known for eating things they should not. To make matters worse, some of these things are toxic.
There are more than 100,000 cases of pet poisoning in the United States each year. If you aren’t sure if a food is toxic, please check with your veterinarian before feeding something new. Many well intending pet owners think a grapes or raisins are not a problem and later find their dog has developed kidney failure.
Raising awareness of everyday hazards in your own pantry can help prevent undue distress to the nation’s pets.
The top 20 toxic food items include:
4. Xylitol (sweetener commonly in gum and pastries)
7. Chewing Gum
9. Uncooked Chicken
10. Macadamia Nuts
15. Corn Cobs
16. Dough (especially yeast doughs)
17. Uncooked raw meat
19. Uncooked salmon
Ranking number 1 is chocolate. The worst variety of chocolate for pets is dark baking chocolate.
Symptoms of pet poisoning can vary from mild stomach and bowel upset (vomiting and diarrhea) to neurological problems, kidney failure, low blood sugar, cardiac and respiratory distress, coma, and even death. Symptoms depend on the item and quantity ingested or inhaled, and the physiological response of the individual pet.
Some foods can be toxic to one pet in certain amounts and not bother another pet. For example – as little as a couple raisins could cause kidney failure in one dog and may not affect a different dog.
Healthy treats that are safe for pets may include small amounts of lean cuts of meat (as long as they have been properly cooked, thoroughly cooled and have no bones) and small pieces of vegetables such as carrots.