Pet insurance commonly covers emergencies and other medical problems. Most pet insurance companies also offer policies with wellness coverage that provides coverage for routine care such as vaccinations, flea control, heartworm prevention, fecal examinations, deworming medications, and much more. Pet insurance can help pet owners provide the best care for their pets by allowing them to make pet health care decisions based on the best care and not how much care costs. Pet insurance helps you pay for your veterinary bills.
Many pet owners often have multiple pets and want to ensure all their pets. If you have only cats, learn more about How Does Multi-Cat Insurance Work?
What You Should Know About Multi Pet Insurance Policies
Pet owners with multiple pets commonly ask about multi-pet insurance for more than one dog or cat. Below are some important points to know about multi-pet insurance:
- If you have more than one pet and desire pet insurance for each pet, then you can have a multi-pet insurance policy. In some ways, it can be like your car insurance. You can have an automobile insurance policy with only one car on the policy or have multiple cars, trucks and even jet skis on the policy. In some cases, each vehicle may have it’s own coverage e.g. deductible or you can have the same coverage for all your vehicles. Some companies require that you have the same coverage limits for all your pets.
- Pet insurance companies offer discounts. Some have military discounts, multi-pet discounts, discounts for automatic payments through your bank account, and more depending on the company. If you are looking for multi-pet insurance, ask specifically about those discounts. Most companies offer a 5 to 15% discounts for insuring multiple pets.
- No pet insurance company will cover pre-existing conditions. This is a very important point because some pet owners consider pet insurance after there is an expensive medical problem. For example, if your pet is diagnosed with cancer before you get a policy, nothing related to that cancer would be covered. However, if your dog is injured from being hit by a car, then everything related to that condition would be covered.
- Because pre-existing conditions are not covered, the best time to get pet insurance is when your pet is young and healthy. However, if you decide to get pet insurance when your pet is older, that is okay as well as long as you know that any condition that was diagnosed with your pet prior to getting the policy will NOT be covered.
- The limitation on getting pet insurance for more than one pet is your pet’s species and age. Most pet insurance companies only insure dogs and cats and not exotic pets such as birds, rabbits, guinea pigs, reptiles and more. Some pet insurance companies have limitations on covering older pets. Other companies will insure a pet at any age. Ask the company you choose if this impacts your pets.
Some pet insurance companies provide lifetime coverage. This means you can have the insurance for the lifetime of your pet. For more information, go to How to Get Lifetime Dog Insurance.
How Many Pets Can You Have on a Multi Pet Insurance Policy?
There is generally no limit to the number of pets you can have on a pet insurance policy. There may be limitations in regard to older pets or insuring exotic pets. Ask the company you are researching if those are important features for you.
What Does Multi-pet Insurance Cover?
Pet insurance policies and coverage for multi-pet coverage vary greatly from company to company. The same variables that impact an individual policy also impact a multi-pet policy. Key variables that impact monthly or yearly premiums include the deductible, copay (reimbursement), what is covered or not covered, and more. Here is a very good article that gives you specific details on how pet insurance works. Go to How Does Pet Insurance Work?
Your multi-pet insurance policy will cover whatever you choose that the company offers. It can cover emergencies, diseases, and even wellness such as spaying, neutering, vaccinations and much more.
In summary, your ability to purchase pet insurance for more than one pet is up to you. The only limitation could be the age of your pet and your ability to afford premiums for multiple pets. Pet insurance can be more affordable than what you think. Get a quote here.
How Much Should Multi-pet Insurance Cost?
The cost of multi-pet insurance will vary with how many pets are on your policy and the specific coverage of your policy. For example, the two variables that have the biggest impact on cost are the deductible and the reimbursement or “co-pay”. For example, if you choose a zero deductible and a 90% reimbursement (which is very good coverage), then 90% of all your veterinary bills will be covered. If you choose a $1000 deductible and 80% coverage, this is also good coverage but is much less expensive.