Quality veterinary care can be expensive. Pet insurance can allow you to provide the best medical care for your pet in the case of a medical problem or emergency. Pet owners commonly ask questions about different ways of buying pet insurance. For example, some questions are about getting multi-pet insurance, understanding how multi-cat insurance works, understanding more about buying pet insurance with lifetime coverage, and how to get a lifetime pet insurance policy.
There are different ways that you can approach buying pet insurance that can influence the type of policy you purchase and the company you choose. First, let’s look at different ways of types of insurance for pets and define what is pet insurance.
Different Ways of Buying Pet Insurance
As you look at buying pet insurance, there are three major types of insurance or group health plans for pets. They are:
Pet Insurance Policy. Pet insurance policies can vary but are designed to cover bills that relate to medical problems. Coverage includes costs for the diagnosis and treatment of symptoms such as vomiting, diarrhea, seizures, limping and medical problems such as diabetes, cancer, broken bones, or issues that relate to emergencies. Emergencies may include being hit by a car, lacerations, bites wounds, falls, or other trauma. Pet insurance policies offered by the major companies can be used at any veterinary hospital, clinic, and specialty hospital or emergency facility in your country of coverage.
- Pet Wellness Policy. “Wellness” policies are offered by some pet insurance companies and cover things that help to keep your pet healthy. This type of policy is generally optional and acts as an “add-on” to your pet insurance policy. The specifics of what a wellness policy covers varies with the company but generally includes vaccinations, deworming medications, fecal examination, heartworm checks, flea control medications, and dental cleaning procedures. Like pet insurance policies, pet wellness policies offered by the major companies can be used at any licensed veterinarian at any veterinary hospital, clinic, specialty hospital or emergency facility.
- Pet Health Discount Plans. Some pet stores and veterinary hospitals may offer health discount plans. These plans cover various things such as vaccines and other wellness care, office calls and some emergency care. The plan varies with the company. Care provided is generally limited to that hospital or network of hospitals.
Most pet owners that want pet insurance go with one of the major companies they can use anywhere. This means you can use the insurance at your vet, your local emergency clinic or at a different veterinarian if you want to seek a second opinion or are traveling.
What is Pet Insurance?
It is important to know what you are getting when buying pet insurance. Pet insurance is a tool to help pet parents pay for medical expenses for their pet. How they do this, how much they cover, what they cover, and how much the insurance costs are factors that differ from company to company and specifically depend on the policy that you choose. Here is a very good article that gives you specific details – on How Does Pet Insurance Work?
Can You Get Multi-Pet Insurance?
Many pet owners have more than one pet, which makes them question the feasibility of getting multi-pet insurance. Can you get pet insurance for more than one pet? The answer is generally yes. Your ability to purchase pet insurance for more than one pet is up to you. The only major limitation could be the age of your pet because some companies have limitations on covering older pets. Other companies will insure a pet at any age. There can be advantages to having more than one pet insured with a company such as discounts. Learn more about factors to consider as you think about “Can You Get Multi-Pet Insurance?”
How Does Multi-Cat Insurance Work?
Some pet owners have more than one pet or in some cases cats and wonder how does multi-cat insurance works. You can get pet insurance or pet wellness policies for multiple cats. The policy will vary depending on the exact policy that you choose. There is often a discount if you insure more than one cat. Learn more about How Does Multi-Cat Insurance Work?
What Is a Pet Insurance Policy With a Lifetime Cover?
A common and good question some pet owners ask is what is a pet insurance policy with a lifetime cover? Below are two important points to understand about pet insurance as you consider lifetime coverage:
- Once you have a pet insurance policy, with most companies you can keep it for the lifetime of your pet. This means that companies will not cancel you. There can be limits in how much they cover per incident or per year but most companies won’t cancel your policy. This means your pet can have lifetime coverage if you continue to pay the premiums. When purchasing a policy, please confirm this feature with your company.
- The best time to get pet insurance for your pet is when your pet is young and healthy. It is important to know that for all companies, pre-existing medical problems are excluded. So if your pet develops diabetes for example and then you purchase a pet insurance policy, all diagnostic tests and treatments that relate to diabetes and conditions that are caused by diabetes will never be covered for your pet.
Learn more about What is a Pet Insurance Policy With a Lifetime Cover?
How to Get Lifetime Dog Insurance
May dog owners want to get a pet insurance policy that will cover their dog for the dog’s entire lifetime. This makes it important to pick a company you like, a company you trust, and the policy that is best for you and your dog. Once you have a policy, with most companies if you continue to pay the premium, it can be your dog’s insurance policy for the rest of his or her life. Learn more about How to Get Lifetime Dog Insurance.
Additional Articles that May Be of Interest About Pet Health Insurance:
- Can You Get Multi-Pet Insurance?
- How Does Multi-Cat Insurance Work?
- What is a Pet Insurance Policy With a Lifetime Cover?
- How to Get Lifetime Dog Insurance
- What’s the Best Pet Insurance in Regards to Cost?
- Is There Pet Insurance That Covers Pre-Existing Conditions?
- How Much Should You Expect For Dog Vet Costs?
- Does Medicaid Pay for Your Pet’s Costs?
- Are Pet Wellness Plans More Affordable than Insurance?
- What is Pet Insurance?
- Employee Benefits: Pet Insurance
- How Does Pet Insurance Work?
- When is the Best Time to Get Pet Insurance for Your Cat?
- Questions To Ask When Choosing A New Vet
- One Dog, Three Vet Visits – Pet Insurance Helps!
- How to Have a Trauma-Free Veterinary Visit for Your Cat
- What It Costs to Own a Cat
- Pet Insurance: What It Covers & What It Doesn’t
- Factors to Consider Before You Compare Pet Insurance Policies
- A Major Investment: The Costs Associated with Dog Ownership
- Low-Cost Spay/Neuter Clinics vs. Your Local Vet