Are ant traps toxic?

Are ant traps toxic?

Our question this week was:

I have ants in my dining room but don't want to use normal insecticides because I am afraid of poisoning my beloved dog. Are there any pet friendly insets repellants I can use?

Mike H. – Baltimore, MD


Hi – thanks for your email. Most of the ant traps are not toxic to dogs. The biggest problem from the traps is the dogs that eat the plastic or metal trap themselves that can cause a "foreign body" problem.

Check the box labels on the products as some will state that they are not a problem around pets.


Dr. Debra

To read most recent questions Click here!

Click here to see the full list of Ask Dr. Debra Questions and Answers!

number-of-posts0 paws up

Previous / Next Article

Previous Article button

Vet Q&A

How can I get my dog to stop licking the carpet?

Next Article button