Are raisins toxic?

Our question this week was:

Someone told me their dog ate some raisins and died? Is this possible?

Jason A. – Virginia Beach, VA

Answer

Hi – thanks for your email. Yes, raisins and grapes both are toxic. In fact, on a per weight bases, raisins are thought to be 4 to 5 times more toxic. Not all pets are affected. To be safe, don't feed grapes or raisins to your dog in any quantity.

An article that might be helpful to you is Grape and Raisin Toxicity in Dogs.

Best of luck!

Dr. Debra

To read most recent questions Click here!

Click here to see the full list of Ask Dr. Debra Questions and Answers!

number-of-posts0 paws up