PetPartners, Inc. is an indirect corporate affiliate of PetPlace.com. PetPlace may be compensated when you click on or make a purchase using the links in this article.
Our question this week was:
Dr.Debra – How much chocolate can a dog eat before it is dangerous? I like to give him chocolate now and then.
Hi – thanks for your email. You wrote asking about how much chocolate a dog can eat before it is dangerous. Chocolate can be toxic. First, let me say that there is nothing in chocolate that your dog needs. So..you should not feed it to him. You say you like to give it to him – maybe instead you can learn enjoy giving him a piece of dog kibble or a piece of carrot.
Common signs of eating too much chocolate is vomiting and diarrhea in low amounts and high amounts it can cause hyperactivity and even seizures.
The amount of chocolate that is needed to cause signs depends on two things – First – the type of chocolate and second, How big your dog is.
An article that might be helpful to you is Chocolate Toxicity. This article gives you information on the amounts of each type of chocolate that is dangerous to dogs.
Best of luck!
To read most recent questions Click here!
Click here to see the full list of Ask Dr. Debra Questions and Answers!