PetPartners, Inc. is an indirect corporate affiliate of PetPlace.com. PetPlace may be compensated when you click on or make a purchase using the links in this article.
Our question this week was:
My puppy was just bit by a bee, what can I do to help him feel better.
Thanks for your question. Bites and stings commonly occur to dogs and many can have a hypersensitivity (allergic) reaction. Before I can really give you advice, I'd need to know how your puppy is acting now and what symptoms he is experiencing. Some dogs are stung and never really notice or have a problem.
Reactions can be mild, moderate or severe. Mild reactions generally cause pets to act lethargic, occasionally have an elevated body temperate and loss of appetite. Moderate reactions often cause dogs to have marked swelling. Generally hives or swelling occurs around the eyes, face and muzzle but can occur anywhere on the body. Severe reactions can cause breathing difficulties, collapse and even death. Severe reactions are rare.
I'd recommend that you call your veterinarian and describe the symptoms that you are seeing on him so they can guide to you the appropriate treatment. If in doubt, it is safest to have your pet examined by your vet or at the local emergency clinic.
Allergic reactions in dogs are often treated with oral or injectable Benadryl. In severe cases, steroids may also be used. Benadryl is dosed at about one mg per pound of body weight and can be repeated in 12 hours. Don't give any medication without the advice of your veterinarian.
An article that might be helpful to you is on our Petplace.com is on the topic Allergic Reactions to Insect Bites
Best of luck!
To read most recent questions Click here!
**Click here to see the full list of Ask Dr. Debra Questions and Answers!*