Is ORBIT chewing gum toxic?

Is ORBIT chewing gum toxic?

PetPartners, Inc. is an indirect corporate affiliate of PetPlace may be compensated when you click on or make a purchase using the links in this article.

Our question this week was:

My dog is vomiting. The only thing I know he ate is ORBIT chewing gum. Is that toxic?

Andrew B.


Hi – thanks for your email. You wrote saying that your dog is vomiting, acting sick, and you know he got into chewing gum. Some chewing gum contains a product called Xylitol that is toxic. It can cause a low blood sugar (hypoglycemia) in some dogs and/or an unusual idiosyncratic liver reaction in other dogs.

Please read this article and take your dog to your veterinarian. The vomiting may or may not be related to the gum but it is better to be safe than sorry.

An article that might be helpful to you is Is Chewing Gum Toxic to Your Pet?.

Best of luck!

Dr. Debra

To read most recent questions Click here!

Click here to see the full list of Ask Dr. Debra Questions and Answers!

number-of-posts0 paws up

Previous / Next Article

Previous Article button

Vet Q&A

Dangers of plug-in air fresheners

Next Article button