What are signs of rat poisoning in dogs?

What are signs of rat poisoning in dogs?

Our question this week was:

Dr. Debra – my dog is acting funny. What are signs of eating rat poison?

Angie B. Williamsburg, VA

Answer

Dear Angie,

Thanks for your email and question. You asked what are signs of ingestion of rat poison (rat or mouse product poisoning).

The answer is that it depends on the type of rat poison ingested. One common type (often called an anti-coagulant rodenticide) interferes with blood clotting and common signs are lethargy, weakness, trouble breathing or bleeding. Another type can interfere with brain function and can cause seizures or abnormal mentation. At toxic doses – all of the rat poisons are bad.

If your dog got into rat poison, I’d recommend that you get the container and call your vet as soon as possible. If your vet is closed – call your local emergency clinic.

An article that might be helpful is Rodenticide Poisoning in Dogs.

Best of luck,

Dr. Debra

To read most recent questions Click here!

Click here to see the full list of Ask Dr. Debra Questions and Answers!

number-of-posts0 paws up

Previous / Next Article

Previous Article button

Vet Q&A

My dog was hit with a broom. Can dogs get headaches?

Next Article button