Overview of Cefotaxime for Canines and Felines
Brand Names and Other Names of Cefotaxime
Uses of Cefotaxime for Dogs and Cats
Cefotaxime is used in both dogs and cats to treat a variety of bacterial infections, including:
Precautions and Side Effects
1) Injection site inflammation following intravenous administration and pain, induration, and tenderness after intramuscular injection.
2) Hypersensitivity reactions – rash, pruritus, fever, eosinophilia, urticaria, and anaphylaxis.
3) Gastrointestinal problems such as colitis, diarrhea, and vomiting. Symptoms of pseudomembranous colitis may appear during or after treatment.
1. Aminoglcosides – aminoglycoside toxicity may be enhanced (monitor renal function carefully)
2. Anticoagulants – hypoprothrombinemic effects of anticoagulants may be increased
3. Polypeptide antibiotics – their nephrotoxic effects may be enhanced. Monitor renal function.
4. Probenecid – inhibits renal tubular secretion of cefotaxime
How Cefotaxime is Supplied
Dosing Information of Cefotaxime for Dogs and Cats
Antibiotics & Antimicrobial Drugs
Dermatology & Integumentary diseases
Multiple organ systems can be affected
Respiratory & Thoracic diseases
Reproductive Disorders & Theriogenology
Orthopedics & Musculo-Skeletal diseases