PetPartners, Inc. is an indirect corporate affiliate of PetPlace.com. PetPlace may be compensated when you click on or make a purchase using the links in this article.
of Imidacloprid/Flumethrin for Dogs and Cats
- Imidacloprid and Flumethrin, ingredients in Seresto®, is a flea and tick collar that provides protection for eight months to dogs and cats.
- Imidacloprid, also an ingredient in Advantage, is an insecticidal agent that acts on the central nervous system of fleas causing impairment and subsequent death.
- Flumethrin works to repel and kill adult ticks as well as the immature tick forms including larvae and nymphs. Ticks include Deer ticks, American dog ticks, Brown dog ticks and Lone Star Ticks.
- Imidacloprid and Flumethrin works together to provide protection against both fleas and ticks.
- Bayer, the manufacturer of Seresto®, states that their polymer matrix technology allows for a slow continuous release of active ingredients that provides flea and tick prevention over 8 months. The active ingredients in the collar spread from direct contact of the collar over the skin surface.
- Seresto® is water resistant and stays effective following bathing, swimming and exposure to rain. However, dogs should not be bathed more than monthly. The duration of the collars effectiveness decreases to less than 5 months in dogs that routinely swim.
- Seresto® kills fleas within 24 hours and kills new ticks with 48 hours of application. Reinfesting fleas are killed within 2 hours. Seresto® recommends removing all fleas when the collar is applied.
- Seresto®, is a prescription drug and can only be obtained from a veterinarian or by prescription from a veterinarian.
Brand Names or Other Names
of Imidacloprid & Flumethrin
- This drug is registered for use in animals only.
- Human formulations: None
- Veterinary formulations: Seresto® (Bayer)
Uses of Imidacloprid/Flumethrin for Dogs and Cats
- Seresto®, is used for the control and treatment of flea infestations and tick infestations in dogs and cats.
Precautions and Side Effects
- While generally safe and effective when prescribed by a veterinarian, Seresto®, may cause side effects in some animals. Seresto® should not be used in animals with known hypersensitivity or allergy to the drug.
- This product is not recommended for use in pregnant, nursing, debilitated, or geriatric animals.
- Also, it is not recommended for use in kittens less than 10 weeks of age or in puppies less than 7 weeks of age.
- Seresto®, may interact with other medications. Consult with your veterinarian to determine if other drugs your pet is receiving might interact with Seresto®.
- Seresto®, is a topical agent and temporary irritation at the site of application is possible. Some pets will experience temporarily hair loss or mild skin irritation.
- Overdose is rare and no adverse effects have been reported at even up to 5 times the recommended dose.
- Due to its bitter taste, imidacloprid may cause temporary profuse drooling if ingested.
How Imidacloprid/Flumethrin is Supplied
Seresto® is available in 3 sizes.
- SERESTO™ small dog – for puppies 7 weeks of age and older and up to 18 lbs. (8 kg)
- SERESTO™ large dog – for puppies 7 weeks of age and older and above 18 lbs. (8 kg)
- SERESTO™ Cat – for cats over 10 weeks of age.
of Imidacloprin/Flumethrin for Dogs and Cats
- Medication should never be administered without first consulting your veterinarian.
- Choose the collar that is correct for your pet. Three collars are available, one for cats and two for dogs. The dog collars are in two sizes: under 18 pounds and over 18 pounds.
- To apply the collar on your pet – easy instructions are included in the packaging. For more information, visit the Seresto® site for instructions with photos. Ensure you have the proper fit.
- Monitor your pet after the collar is placed. Some pets can be agitated by the presence of a collar. Monitor them well. Distract agitation with toys or treats.
- The collar contains a safety-release mechanism that allows some give and the collar to widen if a pet were to be caught. The safety release mechanism can prevent a dog or cat from choking if a collar were to be trapped.
- Seresto® is effective for 8 months in dogs that don’t routinely swim and less than 5 months for dogs that swim more than once monthly.