Marbofloxacin (Zeniquin®) for Dogs and Cats
Overview of Marbofloxacin (Zeniquin®) for Dogs and Cats
- Marbofloxacin, commonly known as Zeniquin®, is a broad-spectrum antibiotic used to treat infections in dogs and cats caused by susceptible bacteria.
- Marbofloxacin is a synthetic antibiotic that belongs to the fluoroquinolone class.
- The drug inhibits bacterial enzymes, resulting in death of the bacteria.
- Marbofloxacin use is reserved for serious infections and is not commonly used for minor infections.
- Marbofloxacin is a prescription drug and can only be obtained from a veterinarian or by prescription from a veterinarian.
Brand Names and Other Names of Marbofloxacin
- This drug is registered for use in animals only.
- Human formulations: None
- Veterinary formulations: Zeniquin® (Pfizer)
Uses of Marbofloxacin (Zeniquin®) for Dogs and Cats
- Marbofloxacin is used to treat susceptible bacterial infections.
Precautions and Side Effects of Zeniquin®
- While generally safe and effective when prescribed by a veterinarian, marbofloxacin can cause side effects in some animals.
- Marbofloxacin should not be used in animals with known hypersensitivity or allergy to the drug.
- The drug should be used with caution in animals with brain or spinal cord disorders.
- When administered to young growing animals, fluoroquinolones have been known to cause damage to joint cartilage, resulting in lameness.
- Marbofloxacin should be used with caution in small and medium sized puppies less than 8 months of age, large breed puppies less than 12 months of age and giant breed puppies less than 18 months of age.
- Marbofloxacin may interact with other medications. Consult with your veterinarian to determine if other drugs your pet is receiving could interact with marbofloxacin.
- Side effects are uncommon but include vomiting, reddening of the skin, weight loss, dehydration, drooling, tremors, facial swelling, decreased appetite and decreased activity.
How Marbofloxacin is Supplied
- Marbofloxacin is available in 25 mg, 50 mg, 100 mg and 200 mg tablets.
- There are several injectable produces available in Europe.
Dosing Information of Marbofloxacin for Dogs and Cats
- Medication should never be administered without first consulting your veterinarian.
- Marbofloxacin is dosed at 1.25 mg per pound (2.5 mg/kg) once daily. The dose may be increased to 2.5 mg per pound (5 mg/kg) once daily.
- The medication may need to be administered up to 30 days, especially for skin or soft tissue infections.
- For urinary tract infections, marbofloxacin should be administered for at least 10 days.
- The duration of administration depends on the condition being treated, response to the medication and the development of any adverse effects. Be certain to complete the prescription unless specifically directed by your veterinarian. Even if your pet feels better, the entire treatment plan should be completed to prevent relapse or prevent the development of resistance.