- Cheristin® is the brand name for the generic agent Spinetoram.
- Spinetoram is an antiparasitic agent primarily used to kill adult fleas. The primary action of spinetoram is an activation of nicotinic acetylcholine receptors (nAChRs) which interferes with the brain and spinal cord of susceptible insects, resulting in death.
- As with most flea control products, Cheristin® should be started approximately 1 month prior to flea season.
- Cheristin® is a topical product applied to the skin.
The effects of Cheristin® lasts about 30 days. Cheristin® begins killing fleas within 30 minutes and kills approximately 98% to 100% of fleas within 12 hours.
Cheristin® is a non-prescription flea and tick products and can be obtained without a veterinary prescription.
Brand Names and Other Names
- This drug is registered for use in animals only.
- Human formulations: None
- Veterinary formulations: Cheristin® (Elanco)
Uses of Cheristin®
- Cheristin® is used in the control and treatment of adult flea infestations in cats and kittens. For more information on flea infestations, please see Flea Infestation in Cats.
Precautions and Side Effects with Cheristin®
- While generally safe and effective when prescribed by a veterinarian, Cheristin® can cause side effects in some animals.
- Cheristin® should not be used in animals with known hypersensitivity or allergy to the drug.
- Cheristin® is not recommended for use in kittens less than 1.8 pounds or under 8 weeks of age.
- Not approved for use in pregnant or nursing cats.
- Cheristin® may interact with other medications. Consult with your veterinarian to determine if other drugs your pet is receiving could interact with Cheristin®.
- Cheristin® is a topical agent and temporary irritation at the site of application is possible. According to the manufacturer, the most common side effects include: “site reactions such as application site hair loss, hair change (greasy, clumping or matting) or redness, inflammation and itching.” For technical assistance or to report a side effect, call Elanco at 1-888-545-5973.
- Spotted areas may appear wet or oily after application.
How Cheristin® is Supplied
- Cheristin® is available in a topical solution available in one size to treat cats and kittens over 8 weeks of age and 1.8 pounds in body weight.
Dosing Information on Cheristin®
- Medication should never be administered without first consulting your veterinarian.
- Cheristin® is supplied in one sized pipettes (applicator tube contains 0.57 mL) for cats over 4 pounds and 8 weeks of age. Do not apply a double dose to cats weighing over 20 pounds. One pipette is applied topically every 30 days.
- Store Cheristin in a clean dry place < 77 degrees Fahrenheit until ready for application. Protect from sunlight and do not store in the refrigerator.