PetPartners, Inc. is an indirect corporate affiliate of PetPlace.com. PetPlace may be compensated when you click on or make a purchase using the links in this article.
Dogs commonly eat things they shouldn’t, especially the stray tablet or capsule from the medicine cabinet. According to the Pet Poison Helpline, almost half of their calls are about pets ingesting human medications such as Zantac®. Many of these drugs can be toxic due to of a dog’s smaller size and differences in human and canine metabolism and toxicities.
What is Zantac (Ranitidine)?
Zantac, also known by the generic name “Ranitidine”, is a drug commonly used in humans to treat excessive stomach acid secretion, esophagitis, and gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD). It is currently one of the most commonly prescribed drugs in the United States and is available as both a prescription drug and as an over-the counter drug.
Is Zantac Routinely Prescribed to Dogs?
Zantac is commonly prescribed to both dogs and cats. Zantac is in a class of drugs referred to as “H2 blockers” and related to medications such as cimetidine (Tagamet) and famotidine (Pepcid).
Zantac is prescribed to treat dogs with stomach ulcers, esophagitis, gastric reflux and esophageal reflex.The therapeutic dose in dogs is 0.5 to 1 mg per pound of body weight (1 to 2 mg per kilogram of body weight) every 8 to 12 hours.
Ranitidine is available in multiple sizes including 75 mg, 150 mg 300 mg and an oral suspension in 15 mg/ml.
What to Do if Your Dog Eats Zantac
In general, Zantac is not considered highly toxic to canines. Generally toxicity is only a concern if large amounts are ingested (i.e. many pills in a small dog). The most common side effects seen in dogs after ingestion of Zantac include vomiting, diarrhea, and restlessness. Higher dosages can cause muscle tremors and elevated respiratory rates.
Limited data is availability about toxicity of Zantac in dogs and cats. Monitor your dog carefully and ensure they are behaving normally. Monitor for normal urinations, bowel movements, vomiting, or lack of appetite.
When Should YOU Call Your Vet?
Call your vet if you are concerned about your dog ingesting a toxic dose of medication and if you see any abnormalities or concerns with your dog. If you notice vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, pale gums, difficulty breathing, lack of appetite, trouble walking or any other signs, call your veterinarian as soon as possible.
How to Prevent Exposure
Dogs are so good at getting into things, and it’s easier to prevent a problem than it is to resolve it.
- Store all medications out of the reach of pets. For example, some pets get on tables or can knock things over on coffee or end tables so avoid these area. Many pet owners store their medications on counters, tables and night tables.
- Take extra special care with pill bottles and weekly pill holders. The shape of the containers and the sounds they make when shaken can mimic toys, tempting some dogs into playing with and chewing on them.
- Weekly pill holders are especially dangerous because they open easily and expose dogs to a multitude of medications.
- Avoid using plastic bags to store pills; if you are taking medications to work or otherwise traveling, keep them in your purse or pocket. Bags can be easily chewed through and ingested.
- Purses are a hazard because we commonly carry our human medications in our purses. Make sure you close your purse, hang up or secure in an area inaccessible to your pet.
- Encourage house guests to keep their luggage closed and medications secure from your pets. This may include keeping access closed to guest areas.
- Help visitors secure their belongings out of the reach of pets. Ensure visitor’s purses are closed and out of reach.
Other Emergency Plans
If your dog ingests Zantac and you can’t get in touch with your vet, call your closest emergency clinic. Another option is to call a poison control hotline for pets. The two most common are:
- Pet Poison Helpline, 855-764-7661(http://www.petpoisonhelpline.com). A $49 per incident fee applies.
- ASPCA Pet Poison Hotline, (888) 426-4435 (https://www.aspca.org/pet-care/animal-poison-control). A $65 consultation fee applies.
- Textbook of Veterinary Internal Medicine, Ettinger & Felman
- Current Veterinary Therapy XV, Bonagura and Twedt
- ASPCA Pet Poison Hotline
- Pet Poison Helpline
- Plumb’s Veterinary Drug Handbook, 8th Edition