How to Administer Eye Medication to Your Ferret
Eye disease, infections and traumas are common ailments that require medication to treat. But administering medication to a ferret can be difficult, especially if he is in pain. Diligence and patience are necessary to help give the medication. A technique used to give eye medication is explained below.
- Have someone help restrain your ferret by holding his front legs and chest or wrap your ferret firmly in a blanket or towel.
- Place the medication in your dominant hand with the lid off.
- Rest this hand on top of the head in order to stabilize your hand. This hand should be near the side of the eye closest to the nose.
- Using your other hand, place the thumb near the lower eyelid and the forefinger near the upper eyelid.
- Spread the eyelids using your thumb and forefinger.
- Apply the medication directly on the surface of the eye. Be very careful not to touch the surface of the eye with the tip of the medication container.
- Once the medication has been administered, open and close the eyelid 1 to 2 times with your thumb and forefinger to spread the medication over the entire surface of the eye.