How to Medicate Your Guinea Pig
Administering medication to a guinea pig can be difficult. Guinea pigs usually don't enjoy being restrained and don't take medication willingly. Below are techniques for giving liquid and tablet medication.
- Draw up the prescribed amount of medication in a syringe or eyedropper.
- Hold the head and neck of the guinea pig with one hand.
- Use the other hand to place the tip of the syringe or eyedropper just behind the front teeth.
- The guinea pig will usually open his/her mouth trying to remove the syringe.
- While the guinea pig is chewing at the syringe or eyedropper, slowly administer the medication.
- Tablets are very difficult to give to guinea pigs. Consider obtaining a pill crusher at a local pharmacy.
- Crush the medication using a pill crusher or other method.
- Once the medication is in powder form, mix the medicine with a small amount of flavored Sustacal or Ensure.
- About 1/4 teaspoon (1 ml) of flavored diet supplement should be enough.
- After mixing the powdered medication with the supplement, follow the instructions for administering liquid form medication.