PetPartners, Inc. is an indirect corporate affiliate of PetPlace.com. PetPlace may be compensated when you click on or make a purchase using the links in this article.
Content Sponsored by Pawfect Pet Show.
Dogs have been man’s best friend since ancient times and, for at least a century and a half, proud dog owners have shown off their pets in competition. The team of pup lovers behind the Pawfect Pet Show knows that there are plenty of award-worthy pets out there just waiting for their moments in the spotlight. This August and September, they’ll gather dogs and dog owners from across the nation for the inaugural iteration of a new virtual dog show.
The Search for the Pawfect Pet
Pet adoption and purchasing have surged throughout the last year. Thousands of dog lovers have opted to brighten up the pandemic by welcoming new pets into their homes and lives. The Pawfect Pet Show gives new and long-time pet parents alike the opportunity to show off their pups. Whether you’ve got a dog with a special talent, a unique look, or just an impressive amount of love to give, you’re invited to register.
- 1st Place: $2,000 and 12 months of free dog food
- 2nd Place: $1,000 and 9 months of free dog food
- 3rd Place: $500 and 6 months of free dog food
- Best in Class (8): $200 and 3 months of free dog food
Milestones in Dog Show History
- 1859: Around 50 canine competitors convene in Newcastle-on-Tyne for both England and the world’s first recognized dog show. The field included just two different classifications of dogs: pointers and setters. Contemporary reports suggest that the dog show was just one part of the day’s festivities. Most spectators were there to attend a poultry fair.
- 1863: The first full-fledged dog show welcomes 15 judges and more than 1,200 dogs to Chelsea. A week-long event, the show is said to have attracted as many as 100,000 spectators from throughout the United Kingdom.
- 1873: Faced with the growing popularity of dog shows in the UK and a frustrating lack of consistent rules, Sewallis Shirley establishes the Kennel Club.
- 1874: The Illinois State Sportsman Association hosts the first-ever American dog show in Chicago.
- 1877: More than 1,200 canines compete at Madison Square Garden in the first Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show. Today, the dog show is second only to the Kentucky Derby on the list of longest continually-running American sporting events.
- 1884: In Philadelphia, 12 different dog clubs from across the nation meet to form the American Kennel Club (AKC). The AKC remains the nation’s preeminent canine registry and continues to regulate dog clubs and shows.
- 1891: 2,500 dogs compete in ‘Crufts’ Greatest Dog Show,’ the world’s first all-breed dog show. Crufts remains the world’s largest dog show and is organized by the Kennel Club.
- 2008: Another major dog show makes its debut, The National Dog Show. The annual event is co-presented by the AKC and the Kennel Club of Philadelphia.
- 2020: The COVID-19 pandemic upends the worlds of human and canine competition. Major dog shows including Crufts, the Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show, and the National Dog Show take place without spectators.
- 2021: A group of dog enthusiasts host the Pawfect Pet Show, the first virtual dog show open to pet parents across the country.
The Pawfect Pet Show: Learn More
Who’s eligible to participate in the Pawfect Pet Show?
All US-based dogs are eligible to participate regardless of breed, size, or age. Why not register today?
Is there a fee to attend or participate?
No. The Pawfect Pet Show is totally free.
How do I register to attend?
- Visit the registration page before July 25th and sign up your pet.
- Complete the registration process by following the instructions in your email notification.
There are more details to come! Check out the FAQ page for more answers as the Pawfect Pet Show approaches.
What’s the competition format?
Online voters will select a total of 50 dogs from among the submissions. These dogs will advance to the Preliminary round, occurring between August 1st and August 21st. Then, both judges and audience members will select 20 to advance to the Semi-Finals starting September 1st, as well as award the 8 Best in Class dogs. For the final round, the top three competitors will be selected from the Top 20.
All contestants need to do is submit new pictures or videos in every round.
The 1st, 2nd, and 3rd-place competitors will all receive awards on October 6th.
Follow the Pawfect Pet Show
Whether you’re planning on participating, waiting to attend, or just hoping to learn more, follow the Pawfect Pet Show on social media for updates and adorable posts.
Who’ll Be Named the Pawfect Pet?
Think you’ve got the Pawfect Pet? Register your pup for the Pawfect Pet Show today. The official contest begins in July, so there’s plenty of time to spread the word.