Are you looking for that perfect dog name that just fits your dog that was rescued? Naming a dog can be difficult.
One way many pet owners do it is to look for a name that goes with your dog’s personality, physical characteristic or maybe even how he is found. Do you have a stray? Or did you rescue a dog? Here are some names ideas for dogs that were found, rescued and stray dogs.
Some strays are named for the street where they were found or the community where they were found. For example, I know a dog named “Bethel” because he was found on “Bethel road” and another dog named “Franklin” because he was found wandering in “Franklin County”. Another common way is by the day of the week that you found the dog – I know a dog named “Friday” that was found on a Friday.
I hope this helps you find the perfect name for your dog!
Do you have any suggestions for additional traits or dog names? Comment below with your dog name ideas and we will try to add them to our dog name list!
Dog names for strays or rescued dogs
- Bones (thin/skinny when found)
- Chance – because he got a second chance at life
- Dara – which means “gift” in Bulgarian language
- Destiny – it was destiny to find this pooch
- Gulliver …And yes, Gulliver did travel…
- Heaven (you found a little piece of Heaven)
- Impulse – dog was love at first sight – an impulse.
- Journey (dog was on a journey that led to you)
- Kisa – an acronym for Knight In Shining Armour
- Kayle – means faithful dog in Hebrew
- Kismit which means fate
- Malachi meaning a special messenger from God
- Main Street (found on Main Street)
- Paycheck – started costing us our paycheck
- Percy, short for Perseverance
- Podunk -found out in the middle of nowhere
- Pooka means good luck charm.
- Retread – found in an old tire along the road
- Ruckus (he crated a Ruckus when he got home)
- Scarey – scared little dog
- Sparkle – because she gave my husband a sparkle in his eye
- Tuesday – found on that day of the week
- Vader -short for “Invader”