Glow Jewelry (Dibutyl Phthalate) Toxicity in Dogs

Glow Jewelry (Dibutyl Phthalate) Toxicity in Dogs

Glow Jewelry Toxicity in Dogs

Many people are familiar with glow jewelry sold at carnivals, fairs and novelty stores. But when we take the jewelry home, we may have a problem: our inquisitive dogs may chew on the jewelry.

The active ingredient in most glow jewelry and other glow in the dark products is dibutyl phthalate. This substance has low toxicity and there has not been a report of a dog poisoned by it’s ingestion. In fact, massive amounts of dibutyl phthalate would need to be ingested before any toxic signs develop.

Signs of Glow Jewelry Toxicity in Dogs

Despite the fact that it is non-toxic, dogs that chew on glow jewelry can suddenly exhibit very strange and startling behavior. Athough most will show no signs at all, a few may begin profuse drooling. This is thought to be related to the unpleasant taste of dibutyl phthalate. Without any treatment, most dogs return to normal in a few minutes.

Treatment of Glow Jewelry Toxicity in Dogs

If your dog has ingested dibutyl phthalate, encourage her to drink a small amount of water or milk or eat a slice of bread. This will help dilute the taste of the dibutyl phthalate. Even rinsing the mouth out with water can help reduce the signs associated with glow jewelry exposure.

Even after rinsing the mouth, you may want to bathe your dog. This will remove any dibutyl that may have leaked out of the tooth marks and onto the dog’s hair coat.

number-of-posts0 paws up

Previous / Next Article

Previous Article button

Diseases & Conditions of Dogs

Structure and Function of the Female Canine Reproductive Tract

Next Article button