Survey Shows That Economy Goes To The Dogs – Literally!
While the economic downturn might make women pause about new purchases, it won’t effect how much they’ll spend on their beloved pets next year.
As part of its ongoing “FemiNation” dialogue into the lifestyles and attitudes of contemporary women, Lifetime Networks today announced a survey* on the relationship between Women 18-49 and their pets. The poll found that eighty-nine percent of women indicate they will spend the same amount or more on their pets in the next 12 months, while 24 percent plan on spending more money.
“This poll shows that pets are no longer viewed as mere companions, but as integral parts of their families,” said Mike Greco, Executive Vice President, Research. “Underlining this powerful emotional bond, 87 percent of women consider pets members of their family, with 59 percent willing to risk their lives to save their pet.”
The survey also reveals one third (28 percent) of women put the needs of their pet ahead of their own. Given a choice between human or animal companionship on a deserted island, 13 percent opted for their pet – perhaps because 30 percent say their pet is the best listener!
Findings of the survey include:
1. REIGNING CATS AND DOGS
- Roughly seven out of ten Women between the ages of 18 and 49 own a pet (69 percent).
- One-half of Women 18-49 own at least one dog (51 percent), and one-third own at least one cat (33 percent).
2. PETS ARE PEOPLE TOO
- Most Women 18-49 Pet Owners consider their pets to be members of their family (87 percent).
- More than half Women 18-49 Pet Owners (59 percent) would risk their lives for their pet.
- One-in-ten Women 18-49 Pet Owners have sacrificed a relationship for their pet (12 percent).
- More than one-in-four Women 18-49 Pet Owners put the needs of their pet ahead of their own (28 percent).
3. PAMPERED PETS- PURCHASING POWER
- The majority of Women 18-49 Pet Owners claim that they “always pamper their pets with the best products” (58 percent).
- In the past year, 81 percent of Women Pet Owners 18 to 49 have purchased their pets toys (66 percent), professional grooming (26 percent), organic food (22 percent), outfits (16 percent) and/or some type of spa service (4 percent).
- Among Women 18-49 Pet Owners, more than two-thirds buy their pets holiday or birthday presents (68 percent), one-third takes their pets on vacation (36 percent), and 20 percent dress their pets up.
- On average, Women 18-49 Pet Owners report having spent $160 on a gift for their pet (37 percent admit to having spent more than $100).
4. WOMAN’S BEST FRIEND
- More than one-in-ten Women 18-49 Pet Owners would choose to have the companionship of their favorite pet over another human being if they were stranded on a deserted island (13 percent).
- A third of Women 18-49 Pet Owners say that their favorite pet is the “best listener” (30 percent).
- Half of Women 18-49 Pet Owners let their pet sleep in their bed (49 percent).
*This report presents the findings of two telephone surveys conducted among a national probability sample of more than 1,000 adults in US households comprising over 500 Women 18 years of age and older. The first survey was conducted Nov. 6-9, 2008 among roughly 173 Women Pet Owners ages 18 to 49, and the second survey was conducted Nov. 21-24, 2008 among 186 Women Pet Owners ages 18 to 49, living in private US households.
LIFETIME is the leader in women’s television and one of the top rated basic cable television networks. A diverse, multimedia company, LIFETIME is committed to offering the highest quality entertainment and information programming, and advocating a wide range of issues affecting women and their families. LIFETIME Television, Lifetime Movie Network,
Lifetime Real Women and Lifetime Digital (including myLifetime.com) are part of LIFETIME Entertainment Services, a 50/50 joint venture of Hearst Corporation and The Walt Disney Company.