Great Names for Maine Coon Cats
Looking for a name for your Maine Coon cat? Maine Coons have a long list of memorable, outstanding traits that can help you pick a unique name for your feline. Starting from their laidback, almost dog-like personality to their myths and legends about origin, Main Coons can offer an assortment of ideas for names for their breed.
Maine Coone Cat Names
Here is an alphabetical list of names created from origin, breed, physical appearance, temperament, social patterns and famous Maine Coon (MC) cats.
- Big Boy
- Breezy – Laidback
- Captain Janks of the Horse Marines – The Book of Cat, the first documented Maine Coon in literature
- Charm – MCs are known for being loving and family-oriented
- Chirp – They are known for their short chirps as meows
- Coon Cat
- Cosey – Name of the MC who won Best in Show in 1895 cat show
- Galileo – MCs are noted for their intelligence
- GG – Gentle giant
- Grand(e) – Big in Spanish or French. Perfect for your big Gato/Chat
- Harry – MCs are hairy
- Maine – The official state cat of Maine
- Maine Shag
- Marie – Marie Antoinette is said to be the reason MCs are in the U.S.
- Mito – Myth in Spanish, because there are many myths surrounding their origin
- Newton – like Sir Isaac Newton – noted for intelligence
- Pierce – F.R. Pierce wrote The Book of Cat which documented the first MC in literature
- Polly – The “original” MCs were polydactyls (had extra toes)
- Scat – The laidback Scat Cat from The Aristocats
- Sean Coonery – The Internet famous MC
- Snoopy – many MCs act like adorable dogs
- Snowshoe Cat
- Stewie – Guinness World Record holder for “longest cat,” measured nose tip to tail
- Tuffy – for their ear and paw tufts
- Wiscasset – Wis? Wissy? Cassy? Wiscasset is where Marie Antoinette sent her 6 cats when she tried to leave – One being a MC.
Doesn’t matter how or what you would like to name your cat, we have the perfect name for you. Are you looking for a dog name to go with personality traits for sweet dogs, small dogs, smart dogs, not so smart dogs, fast dogs, ornery dogs, or talkative dogs? Or how about a stray or rescued cat?
Or are you looking for a name your cat based on his hair coat color or type such as he is white, brown, orange or red, grey, black, black and white, tabby, calico or a fluffy cat. Check out the links associated with any of those words and your get our list!
We hope this list helps you name your Maine Coon Cat. Do you have a suggestion for a name? Share it below!